This site is owned and operated by the I Can Still Do That Foundation (“SDT”) . Your privacy on the Internet is of the utmost importance to us. At SDT, we want to make your experience online satisfying and safe.
Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we feel you should fully understand the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses what information we gather and how we use it.
Definition of the Information SDT gathers and keeps track of.
SDT gathers two types of information about users:
Information that users provide through optional, voluntary submissions. These are voluntary submissions to receive our electronic newsletters, to participate in our message boards, Directory or forums, to email a friend, and from participation in polls and surveys:
Information SDT gathers through aggregated tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our sites. This information allows us to better tailor our content to readers’ needs and to help our advertisers and sponsors better understand the demographics of our audience. Because SDT derives its revenue mainly from sponsorships and advertising, providing such aggregated demographic data is essential to keeping our service free to users. Under no circumstances does SDT divulge any information about an individual user to a third party.
SDT Gathers User Information In The Following Processes:
Optional Voluntary Information
We offer the following free services, which require some type of voluntary submission of personal information by users:
1. Electronic newsletters (Dispatches)
We will offer a free electronic newsletter to users. SDT gathers the email addresses of users who voluntarily subscribe. Users may remove themselves from this mailing list by following the link provided in every newsletter that points users to the subscription management page. Users can also subscribe to the newsletters at the time of registration.
2. Directories, Message boards/forums
Users of the site’s Directories, Message Boards and Forums must register separately for these services (both are free of charge) in order to post messages, although they needn’t register to visit the site. During registration the user is required to supply a username, password, and email address.
3. “E-mail this to a friend” Service
Our site users may choose to electronically forward a link, page, or documents to someone else by clicking “e-mail this to a friend” or similar link. The user must provide their email address, as well as that of the recipient. This information is used only in the case of transmission errors and, of course, to let the recipient know who sent the email. The information is not used for any other purpose.
We may offer interactive polls to users so they can easily share their opinions with other users and see what our audience thinks about important issues. Opinions or other responses to polls are aggregated and are not identifiable to any particular user. SDT may use a system to “tag” users after they have voted, so they can vote only once on a particular question. This tag is not correlated with information about individual users.
SDT may occasionally conduct user surveys to better target our content to our audience. We sometimes share the aggregated demographic information in these surveys with our sponsors, advertisers and partners. We never share any of this information about specific individuals with any third party.
Consistent with the Federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without requesting parental consent.
SDT tracks user traffic patterns throughout all of our sites. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users. SDT does break down overall usage statistics according to a user’s domain name, browser type, and MIME type by reading this information from the browser string (information contained in every user’s browser).
SDT sometimes tracks and catalogs the search terms that users enter in our Search function, but this tracking is never associated with individual users. We use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don’t like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
USE OF INFORMATION
SDT uses any information voluntarily given by our users to enhance their experience in our network of sites, whether to provide interactive or personalized elements on the sites or to better prepare future content based on the interests of our users.
As stated above, we use information that users voluntarily provide in order to send out electronic newsletters and to enable users to participate in polls, surveys, message boards, and forums. We send out newsletters to subscribers on a regular schedule (depending on the newsletter), and occasionally send out special editions when we think subscribers might be particularly interested in something we are doing. SDT never shares newsletter mailing lists with any third parties, including advertisers, sponsors or partners.
When we use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don’t like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you. We track search terms entered in Search function as one of many measures of what interests our users. But we don’t track which terms a particular user enters.
SDT creates aggregate reports on user demographics and traffic patterns for advertisers, sponsors and partners. This allows our advertisers to advertise more effectively, and allows our users to receive advertisements that are pertinent to their needs. Because we don’t track the usage patterns of individual users, an advertiser or sponsor will never know that a specific user clicked their ad. We will not disclose any information about any individual user except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
SHARING OF THE INFORMATION
SDT uses the above-described information to tailor our content to suit your needs and help our advertisers better understand our audience’s demographics. This is essential to keeping our service free. We will not share information about individual users with any third party, except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
SDT operates secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by our customers.
We give users options wherever necessary and practical. Such choices include:
Opting not to register to receive our electronic newsletters.
Opting not to participate in certain interactive areas, which completely alleviates the need to gather any personally identifiable information from our users
TERMS OF SERVICE AND DISCLAIMER FOR INTERACTIVE SERVICES
I Can Still Do That Foundation (“SDT”) maintains the interactive portion(s) of their First Mondays and other Web sites as a service free of charge. By using any interactive services provided herein, you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the terms, conditions and notices relating to its use.
1. As a condition of your use of this Web site and the interactive services contained therein, you represent and warrant to SDT that you will not use this Web site for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, conditions, and notices.
2. This Web site contains one or more of the following interactive services: Directory, bulletin boards, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities. You agree to use such services only to send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to the particular service, area, group, forum, community or other message or communication facility. In addition to any other terms or conditions of use of any Directory, bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities, you agree that when using one, you will not:
Publish, post, upload, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, derogatory, defamatory, infringing, improper, obscene, indecent or unlawful topic, name, material or information.
Upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws or by rights of privacy of publicity unless you own or control such rights or have received all necessary consents.
Upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another’s computer.
Advertise any goods or services for any unlawful purpose.
Offer to sell any goods or services for any unlawful purpose.
Conduct or forward chain letters or pyramid schemes.
Download for distribution in any manner any file posted by another user of a forum that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
Falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices, proprietary designations, labels of the origin, source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded.
Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying any of the bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities.
3. SPR has no obligation to monitor the bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities. However, SDT reserves the right at all times to disclose any information deemed by SDT necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to edit, refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part.
4. You acknowledge that communications to or with Directory, bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities are not private communications, therefore others may read your communications without your knowledge. You should always use caution when providing any personal information about yourself or your company. SDT does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in any Directory, bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities and, specifically disclaims any liability with regard to same and any actions resulting from your participation. To the extent that there are moderators, forum managers or hosts, none are authorized SDT spokespersons, and their views do not necessarily reflect those of SDT.
5. The information, products, and services included on this Web site may include inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically added to the information herein. SDT may make improvements and/or changes in this Web site at any time. Advice received via this Web site should not be relied upon for personal, legal or financial decisions and you should consult an appropriate professional for specific advice tailored to your situation.
6. SDT makes no representations about the suitability, reliability, timeliness, and accuracy of the information, products, and services contained on this web site for any purpose. All such information, products, and services are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind.
7. SDT hereby disclaims all warranties and conditions with regard to the information, products, and services contained on this web site, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement.
8. In no event shall SDT be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special, consequential damages or any damages whatsoever including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profits, arising out of or in any way connected
with the use or performance of this web site
with the delay or inability to use this web site
with the provision of or failure to provide services, or
for any information, software, products, services and related graphics obtained through this web site, or otherwise arising out of the use of this web site, whether based on contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, even if SDT has been advised of the possibility of damages.
10. SDT reserves the right in its sole discretion to deny any user access to this Web site, any interactive service herein, or any portion of this Web site without notice, and the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under which this Web site is offered.
11. This Agreement contains the entire agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter hereof and supersedes any and all prior agreements or understandings, written or oral, between the parties related to the subject matter hereof. No modification of this Agreement shall be valid unless made in writing and signed by both of the parties hereto.
12. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York. Exclusive jurisdiction and venue shall by in the New York County Supreme Court.
13. Binding Effect. This Agreement shall be binding upon all who use SDT services, property, and other assets mentioned in this agreement with respect to this Web site and associated content, and it supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether electronic, oral or written with respect to this Web site. A printed version of this agreement and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. Fictitious names of companies, products, people, characters and/or data mentioned herein are not intended to represent any real individual, company, product or event. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.